The Los Angeles-based web hosting provider WebNX recently experienced a fire at its Ogden data center in Utah which took the websites of some of its customers offline.
Unlike the major fire that recently took the French web host OVH offline, WebNX’s problems began with a city-wide power disruption. As is often the case in such a situation, the company’s backup generators automatically switched on following the power outage. However, one of the older backup generators caught fire and the Ogden fire department was called in.
In an update on the company’s site, lead developer Selphie Keller provided further insight on what occurred following the power disruption, saying:
“One of our old generators that has worked for years and was recently load tested had a mechanical failure and caught…